Sunday, December 21, 2014

BABY BOOMER BLUES

A lot of my friends are experiencing the baby boomer blues. So just how do you get out of that rut? It is easy to say "just stay active" but there is a lot of things going on when your a boomer.

First of all the kids have all flown the coop so to speak. Now it's just me - in my particular case. No house because of bad man choices early in life. No one's fault but my own that's for sure. Too generous, too helpful, just too of everything. Being nice doesn't always get you to the front row of life. But I guess in a spiritual sense it does.

I will give you an example: found a two week metro pass the other day in the coffee shop. Of course I would not pocket it - that would be terrible. It turns out that the Manager of the place had just used the washroom and it fell out of her pocket. Ya I felt really good that the metro pass landed back in the right hands.

Another example: I always help people in need. Turns out now that I am retired - I am a free everything - from dog sitter, to babysitter, to personal support worker. Ya - retirement comes at a cost. But, you feel good inside - right.

So I made a pack with myself. Go to Karioke night at least twice a month - even though I can only sing  a few notes perfectly okay. Sort of like Cher - she could only sing in one note according to her.

Go to free - ice skating - and hope that I don't fall and bang my head. Oh ya I have to rent skates. And, I will have to take a friend to hold onto

Try to find an inexpensive hobby. I cook for example but I am no Chef Boyarde! Is that how it's spelled?

Walking - now that's free and fun - weather permitting. Oh ya, when it's crappy outside - that's when I get out the old dancing shoes and put on my favourite Donny and Marie Osmond tape. Ok- now my age is showing!

I love Vegas but a girl who is broke is not going there this year.

If I ever get freed up of my free duties maybe I would have time for a little part time job. Then I could save for a trip! Now your talking - easier said then done when your family needs you.

I could always just say the evil no word - but - hey that's not really me as you can see.

So, I guess I just have to keep on going like the energizer bunny. Hey - now you just get your mind out of the gutter!

Maybe I should be wishing on stars at night. A lightning bolt would probably strike me on the head before I would find a rich man or win the lottery.

So here I am with the Baby Boomer Blues and guess what the secret is: just keep on giving and just keep on living.

That's  it for today.

Your Diva Money Saver

No comments: